Friday, June 4, 2010

The 5 things that will help me – An update

So my friend Sam is so good at following up with the resolutions she has done, per month! Yes, per month. My humble persona just came up with 5 things that I would like to change back in May and following Sam’s example I want to do a follow up. Because what is the point of writing them if I am not accountable for my promises?

1) Wake up earlier and take the dog for a morning walk every day of the week but weekends – I can proudly say that I have been doing this. Yes, no matter if it was rainy or muggy, we have been going out every day but weekends. Anyway, every weekend my husband comes up with this great idea of going for a ‘walk’ and I end up walking 14 miles so I guess that is a bonus.

2) Spring cleaning - Go through the boxes of clothes I have and make a decision about things I am not wearing anymore, don't go with the weather here and have to go to the donation bin. – Half done. I did the cleaning but the donation bag is still sitting by the couch. I hope to be done with this by this weekend.

3) Come to the library every day of the week, well Monday to Friday to work on looking for a job and work on the blog and keep myself focus – Half done too. I have been going to the library but ¾ of the time I chat, read, check emails and when I am really bored look for a job. Not good.

4) Personal inner growth goal – All women should keep some things to themselves, I would just say that I have been doing this one every week.

5) Clean up my diet and re-start the losing weight process – Uhm, I don’t know about this. I do eat healthy but not super healthy so I am ambivalent on this one.

So here is the list and I am half proud of myself. This brings me to my other thought. This week I started reading Such a Pretty Fat – Jen Lancaster. What a funny book!! Apparently this lady wrote her first memoir – Bitter is the New Black when she lost her job. I haven’t read that one because there is a 16 people waiting list in the library for this book. I may have to make the decision and buy it. Anyway, this book is about her attempts of losing weight and failing many of them. I am almost done with the book and it finally seems she got it right. The thing about getting it right for her was a matter to go to Jenny Craig and buy all the pre-made food. Then she enlisted a trainer. After that she got tired of the frozen food and started the Weight Watcher Online program which she likes because it gives her the freedom of eating whatever she wants within reason. That put me to think that the reason why I am not losing weight as I should is; I should be more involved in the menu planning phase. I control my breakfast and lunch but dinner time is plan by my mother in law. Yes, it is a blessing to live in a home where I am being fed without much doing on my part but I cannot impose my foods and likes to the entire house. So breakfast is controlled, I usually have a poach egg on a half thin thingy and add some fresh mozzarella or tomatoes or avocado. A cup of coffee and some fruit, then lunch depends on my mood, I may eat out or have something here, lunch is never complicated and usually hasn’t involved any veggies. Dinner is usually a meat, potatoes and if lucky some sort of veggie. I ate a little or close to none meat piece, the veggies and a little portion of potatoes. What has been killing me is that after that I am obviously hungry and want to eat dessert. My choice has been cookies, well 1 cookie with two spoons of low fat yogurt ice cream. Yes, I know. Not the healthiest snack. One of my problems in my defense is the lack of storage in the fridge; we are 5 adults living in this house so I don’t get my own space. Also, cooking for 1 person is never fun so I don’t do it. I will have to think over this one with my husband and see if we can find a solution for this.

On a happy note – my daily walks have been going great. After the second week I felt weak and tired and decided to drink a glass of water and have a piece of fruit before leaving the house and the problem has been solved! Now, I feel my body is ready for the next challenge, that could be either going to the gym or start running. The yoga studio is still an option but is the most expensive one so I don’t want to use it just yet.

I went to the gym today to check the classes. It seems that they have these crazy cardio classes. I am thinking about them too. It seems that after the review of my 5 things I am going to have to change some items and improve others. I will give myself the weekend to think about them.

Have a great weekend!!

0 comments: